Yes. I eat clay out of my rocket ship shot glass.
Clay is one of the most effective detoxifying foods available to us. While many people think it’s unnecessary to detox regularly, consider that we carry more of a toxic burden than any generation in history. Between pollution, toxins in our water, GMOs and toxins in our food, a high stress lifestyle and a lack of sleep, we are overloaded with toxins. Internal cleansing is more important than ever, especially considering the sharp increase in cancer that is only expected to worsen.
I know it may seem a bit odd to eat clay, but many of our ancestors have been eating clay for a very long time; it was first recorded in prehistoric times and dates back to ancient Mesopotamia. Indigenous cultures around the world still use clay, both internally and externally. It’s amazing how ancient, native wisdom is still alive and thriving, and so effective! Native Americans call it “ee-wah-kee” meaning “the mud that heals.”
And it really does. Bentonite clay is one of the most healing foods we have available to us. This is because the ions in clay are negatively charged, while toxins are positively charged. The clay adsorbs the toxins, meaning it binds to them and flushes them out of your system. Clay binds to:
- harmful bacteria
- heavy metals
- herbicides, fungicides, pesticides
Clay binds to these harmful toxins but does not bind to beneficial gut flora, vitamins or minerals. It is said that after the Chernobyl meltdown, clay was given to the people exposed to radiation to flush it from their systems.
It is also said that clay is effective against the cold and flu. Considering that the common cold and flu are both caused by viruses, which are positively charged, it makes sense that clay would bind to these and flush them from the system.
People with irritable bowel syndrome, Chrohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis have also reported improved symptoms after taking the clay. Because the clay removed harmful toxins, particularly yeast and bad bacteria, it is extremely helpful for those suffering from gastrointestinal disorders. If you suffer from any of these disorders, it’s wise to take a probiotic while taking the clay. This will help repopulate the gut with good bacteria.
Clay has also been used to treat food poisoning. Food poisoning is often the result of harmful bacteria; if taken at the first signs of food poisoning, clay can often stop the process by binding to that harmful bacteria and flushing it from the system. Even if you already are in the throes of food poisoning, ingesting the clay can improve systems and heal you much more quickly.
Clay is also great for external uses. For example, when a mask is applied to the face, it draws out the impurities in the pores. It can be mixed with water and applied to an insect bites, to draw out the venom. It can even be used to dental issues, like gingivitis or infections. When mixed with water and gargled for about ten minutes per day, it draws out the infection. Clay is also said to be helpful with ulcers.
Not all clay is created equal. Make sure you’re buying a good brand that is safe to take internally. I use Redmond Clay and